Chapter One: Q & A Dean of Students

The number one goal of the Globe University-Woodbury campus is to deliver relevant, quality educational experiences that engage students and lead them to graduation and overall career success. For this reason, the campus sends out an annual survey to students to measure areas of success as well as opportunities to change.

To illustrate the  “We Care” philosophy, we had the manager from each department answer a few of the responses received from the students. For the next month, we will be sending out the responses from each of the managers via the blog.

Responses by Brian Raiche, Dean of Students

“Students should be able to take only the classes needed for our program, and not have to take generals or other classes that pertain to our career choice just to make credit to be full-time. I do not like having to take prerequisites for all the classes. Globe should make it so that we can take full-time credits that are just in our program. It makes me feel like the school is money hungry.”

Raiche’s Response: We offer a variety of programs at Globe University, ranging from a diploma program through  Associate in Applied Science (AAS), and Bachelor of Science (BS).

If a student has chosen a degree (AAS or BS) then general education and elective courses are required in order to earn those degrees.  This is a requirement of accreditation rather than school choice.  A certain percentage of credits are required to be general education for each level of degree.

General education courses are designed to give you a well-rounded education with a global perspective in your career and life.

General education courses are limited for a diploma program. If a student is interested in switching to a diploma program, please see the Education Department. We attempt to limit the number of non-related classes so that students can complete their degree in a timely manner.

Courses with prerequisites are designed to take the knowledge gained in one course and apply it in the next course in your sequence. Our programs are designed to teach you for career preparedness.  In order to do this, we start with basic skills and move to more advanced skills and knowledge as your education progresses.  Taking these courses out of order would reduce student success in the courses.

Common Scheduling Responses:

• “I’m a day student and a class I need is only at night.”
  • “I cannot take day classes and all the classes I need are during the day.”
  • “The Education Department needs to work on scheduling.”
  • “We need more options for night students.”
  • “It is hard to find classes that I need to graduate because I took a quarter off.”
  • “I’ve been forced to take classes at times that are inconvenient for me.”
  • “There is never a class I need at my home campus.”

Raiche’s Response: Scheduling seems to be the biggest area for improvement within the Academic Services department. We do take your feedback seriously and will take measures to improve this area if at all possible. Please stay tuned for a roundtable discussion/training on scheduling and creating the master schedule. If you have any suggestions for improving our processes, we certainly welcome your feedback. 

Our master schedule is a rotating sequence of classes based on student need. As you’re aware, we do not offer every class, every quarter both day and evening. The quickest way to complete a degree is to attend full-time and be flexible with your schedule.

We do realize that students have jobs, families, and other outside commitments that restrict scheduling availability and we do our best to be efficient with our course offerings, but also mindful of each of the 500+ unique students that attend here and their respective programs. Unfortunately, there will be times that students may need to alter their schedule, travel to another campus, or opt to take online classes in order to complete their degree on time. 

“I wasn’t aware that I would need a personal computer, although I suspected I would.”

Raiche’s Response: Students are not required to purchase their own personal computer while attending Globe University. We offer multiple computers on campus for our students; student commons, computer labs, resource center, and the library. Even if a student is only taking online classes, they are welcome to come to campus and use the computers.

Please note that if you do elect to purchase a computer for school use, please make sure to pick up an Online Learning Information (OLI) packet from the education department. It lists course specific software requirements as well as suggested computer capabilities. Also, please be on the lookout for training on the new ‘Apps’ feature of Campus Connect.

Stay tuned for the Director of Admissions responding to students in the next blog.  

By .

This entry was posted in Woodbury Campus and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.