Heel Pain?? Plantar Fasciitis…Maybe?

As a massage therapist, an instructor, and a runner I speak to many people during the course of my day. Maybe because it is summer and people are more active or because I am involved in the running community, plantar fasciitis seems to be a buzz word lately.

What is plantar fasciitis you ask?

Simply stated, it is a condition caused by repeated microscopic tears to the fascia at the bottom of the foot.

Some possible cases of plantar fasciitis are distance running, tight Achilles tendon, arch issues and shoes with poor support.  experiencing pain and stiffness, aching or burning at the bottom of the feet, pain in the morning from stepping out of bed, standing or sitting for a period of time, climbing stairs or after intense activities may be some of the signs and symptoms.

To keep plantar fasciitis from happening to you, try keeping your muscles fo the calf and Achilles tendon flexible. Checking in with a personal trainer for specific stretches for the  gastrocnemius and the soleus would be beneficial. Having the correct shoes and support for intense activities will help.  There are stores who can do an analysis of your foot and recommend shoes good for you. Massage may also help muscles to stay loose and more flexible.

If you are already suffering from plantar fasciitis, massage may help with organization of the collagen fibers in the connective tissue. Bodywork specifically to the calf muscles and to the Achilles tendon may help too. If you decide a massage therapist is right for you, make sure you ask for the specific work to the calf muscles, Achilles tendon and the fascia of the foot.  Find a massage therapist who is licensed and has knowledge of specific muscles.

At home and need a little self-care after a long day on your feet or after intense activity?

• A water bottle frozen is great to roll under your foot for a few minutes.
  • Rest and hydrate
  • Keep your legs loose and flexible to help prevent this pain from coming to your foot.

Peace, Happiness and Harmony!

By .

About Robin Rinehart

As an elementary school teacher turned massage therapist, I understand it can take people a while to find their true passion in life.I graduated from Marquette University in Milwaukee with a Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education, but after five years of teaching I needed a change. I moved to Madison and began working at Half Price Books where I was in charge of the children's book section and became the store inventory manager. From there, I began working at First Federal bank as a trainer, but when the bank was bought out; I headed out on a quest to figure out what I really wanted to do with my career. This led me to the field of massage therapy. I attended Lakeside School of Massage Therapy in Madison where I received an Associate’s Degree in Massage. A month after graduating, I began instructing for the school and continued working in the field as a massage therapist. Over the years, I have have worked in many massage settings including a fitness center, a salon, and a spa. I now have my own practice in Madison called Moonlight Therapeutic Massage, where I work with clients on a variety of needs including pain relief, rehabilitation of an injury, or postural imbalances. In my spare time, I love to run, having previously completed six half marathons and her first full marathon at Disney in January 2012. I also enjoy reading, dancing and new adventures. My philosophy: Be passionate about everything you do. Find your own happiness and enjoy all of life’s moments. Create Balance!(my tatoo even states this)
This entry was posted in Madison East Campus and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.