Accounting Assets – Accounting Chair of the Month, Steve Hirsch

Steve Hirsch

I am the Accounting Program Chair on the Blaine campus.  I have an Associates Degree in Law Enforcement (Normandale Community College), a Bachelors in Accounting and Finance Administration (Minnesota State University – Mankato), and will have my Master Degree (Specialization: Accounting) in September 2012 from Globe University.  I am an active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and also hold the Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA) designation.  I am a current member in the American Institute of Public Accountants (AICPA), Institute of Management Accountants (IMA), Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE), Minnesota Council of Accounting Educators (MCAE), and the MN Society of Certified Public Accountants (MNCPA) and currently serve on the Legislative Committee and Speakers Bureau.

I joined the Minnesota School of Business in March, 2010, as the Accounting Program Chair – Blaine campus and have just about taught the entire Accounting curriculum.  My favorite courses are Financial Accounting and Taxation. 

My career started in public accounting, and after three years I went to Ameriprise Financial.  I started there in Accounting Policies and Procedures, prepared the consolidated financial statements, designed the general ledger system in PeopleSoft, wrote the PeopleSoft budget tests, managed the electronic fund transfers and traded commercial paper while in the Treasury department and then left.  I was the Director of Finance for TransGlobal vacations and then was a Realtor for RE/MAX for ten years.  During my entire career I have maintained a tax practice from my home.

I have two boys who are both Iraq Veterans.  Ryan is with the Army National Guard and is currently attending Minnesota State University – Mankato studying for an IT degree.  Michael is a Marine Reserve and is currently at St. Cloud State University studying International Business with a minor in German.

I volunteer on the Board of Directors of a local community theater group and enjoy acting and golf.  I was published in the magazine, Accountant Management, won the Robert Half Author Award, and have lectured for the National Associations of Accountants (NAA).

By .

This entry was posted in Accounting and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.