The Power of a Gentle Touch: Pregnancy and Special Populations Massage Class Performs Massage on Residents with Dementia

Globe University-Madison West Massage Therapy students from the Pregnancy and Special Population class paid a visit with residents at Covenant Oaks to provide massage.  Residents at Covenant Oaks have been diagnosed with a form of dementia or memory loss, making this visit very special and rewarding.

In the class, students were taught how to adjust techniques and communicate efficiently with clients who may be hearing or visually impaired.  Marcy Turner, Events Coordinator for Covenant Oaks met with students before the visit to explain the facility, their residents and describe what students can expect when meeting them.

During their visit, students provided massage to more than 20 residents. Marcy Turner expressed her appreciation, “This is a huge benefit for them. Most residents look forward to the massage as it is a really positive experience for them.”

One resident added, “You can come every day and massage.”

The massage students reflected positively on their experience.

“Getting the opportunity to work with the residents of Covenant Oaks at Oakwood Village was an honor. I love working with the elderly and giving back to the community. I appreciate that Globe really promotes connecting with the communities in which we live. In fact, I plan to continue to volunteer my time to Covenant Oaks in the future.” said Becki Pflager.

Claribel Garcia added, “I really enjoyed this experience being able to work with the elderly. This proves that massage has a lot to offer for everybody. I believe it opens doors to other students who are not sure on what areas of massage to focus on. If I had a choice, I would do it again in a heartbeat.”

By .

This entry was posted in Applied Learning, Madison West Campus and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.